A plum or eggplant dress is a versatile and stylish choice, but what color shoes should one choose to complete the look?
When it comes to choosing shoes to wear with a plum or eggplant dress, there are several color options that work well such as black, silver, gold, nude, dark brown, white, and so on.
This comprehensive guide will navigate through the myriad options to ensure you step out in style and confidence.
The Classic Pair: Neutral Shoes
When in doubt, neutral shades are always a safe and classy option. These shades not only complement the rich tone of a plum or eggplant dress but also offer a sophisticated touch.
- Nude or Beige: These colors provide a seamless transition and draw attention to the dress itself. They’re perfect for daytime events or summer weddings.
- Metallic Gold or Silver: While they’re neutrals, metallic shades add a touch of glam to any ensemble. They’re especially suitable for evening events.
Bold Choices: Vibrant Hues
For those wanting to make a statement, pairing a plum dress with a vibrant shoe color can be a show-stopper.
- Emerald Green: The contrast between deep purple and green brings out a regal elegance, reminiscent of royal attire.
- Deep Blue or Navy: It creates a harmonious color palette, almost monochromatic, but with enough difference to pop.
Understated Elegance: Dark Shoes
Dark-colored shoes can beautifully offset the richness of a plum or eggplant dress without stealing its thunder.
- Black: The universal shoe color, black heels or flats, can never go wrong. They offer a sleek contrast and are suitable for formal occasions.
- Charcoal Grey: Slightly lighter than black, this shade is for those who want to play it safe but with a hint of difference.
Pop of Color: Bright Shoes
For the adventurous fashionistas, bright-colored shoes can elevate the entire outfit.
- Coral or Pink: These warm tones contrast beautifully with the cold undertones of an eggplant dress.
- Bright Yellow: It’s an unexpected choice, but when paired correctly, it can be a delightful and head-turning combination.
Patterns and Prints
Beyond solid colors, consider shoes with patterns or prints. A floral print with hints of purple or gold can be a beautiful addition to your outfit. Similarly, animal prints, especially leopard or snakeskin, can add a touch of wild elegance.
Consider the Occasion
Choosing the appropriate shoe color when wearing a plum or eggplant dress goes beyond merely matching hues. The occasion dictates the attire’s appropriateness and dictates the ambiance you wish to convey. Here, we will dissect various occasions in-depth to provide clearer guidance on shoe selection.
1. Weddings and Formal Events
In settings like weddings or black-tie events, your outfit needs to exude sophistication.
- Classic or Dark Shades: A plum or eggplant dress paired with dark colors, such as black, navy, or charcoal, provides a subdued and elegant feel. This combination ensures that your look is polished and cohesive.
- Metallics: If you wish to infuse a touch of glamour without going overboard, opt for metallic gold or silver shoes. The subtle glimmer complements the sheen often present in formal dresses, providing a harmonized look. Moreover, they tend to pair beautifully with accompanying jewelry or accessories.
2. Casual Outings
Whether you’re going for brunch or a day out shopping, casual settings allow more room for playfulness and personal expression.
- Bright Hues: Imagine pairing your dress with turquoise ballet flats or even coral wedges. The contrast creates a lively, youthful aura, perfect for daytime.
- Patterns: From polka dots to floral prints, shoes with patterns can be a delightful choice. They can introduce multiple colors to your ensemble, allowing for more versatile accessory matching.
3. Office or Business Meetings
The professional world demands a certain level of formality, but that doesn’t mean sacrificing style.
- Neutral Shades: Beige, taupe, and creams are understated yet stylish. They neither overpower nor diminish the beauty of a plum dress, striking the right balance.
- Dark Shades: Black or deep brown shoes can be the staple go-to’s. They represent authority, seriousness, and professionalism.
- Shoe Style: While color is crucial, the style of the shoe is equally pivotal in a corporate setting. Pumps are a classic choice, timeless and versatile. Loafers, especially in leather, convey both comfort and formality. Avoid overly high heels or ostentatious embellishments to ensure the focus remains on your professional prowess.
Colors to Sidestep When Pairing with a Plum or Eggplant Dress
A plum or eggplant dress stands out with its deep, luxurious hue, which can be both sophisticated and versatile. However, just as there are shoe colors that enhance this dress’s elegance, there are also shades that might not be the best choices. Understanding these less-favorable pairings ensures that the richness of the dress remains undiminished.
1. Bright Reds
While a muted wine or maroon might gel well, bright reds can clash with the cooler undertones of plum or eggplant. The stark contrast can divert attention, creating a disjointed look.
2. Neon Colors
Neon shades, whether it’s electric blue, fluorescent yellow, or highlighter pink, can undermine the subtlety and sophistication of a plum dress. Such shades may appear too garish and detract from the dress’s inherent elegance.
3. Overly Light Pastels
Super light pastels like baby blue or pale lavender can wash out when paired with the deep intensity of plum or eggplant. Instead of providing a complementary contrast, they might end up looking disconnected.
4. Mismatched Purples
Purple shades that are too close to, but not quite matching, the plum or eggplant can create a confusing look. It’s either best to match the purple precisely or opt for a contrasting shade to avoid this ‘almost-right’ pairing.
5. Orange and Rust
While they might be on the opposite end of the color wheel, the combination can be jarring rather than harmonious. These warm, autumnal tones often compete rather than complement the deep, cool richness of plum or eggplant.
Selecting the perfect shoe color for your plum or eggplant dress is both an art and a science. Whether you lean towards classic neutrals or bold, vibrant choices, always ensure your footwear complements your overall look and resonates with your personal style. After all, fashion is as much about individual expression as it is about following trends. Step out confidently, knowing that you’ve made a choice that not only complements your dress but also elevates your entire ensemble.